Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.– Socrates
As part of its mission, Listowel Family Resource Centre is committed to providing adult education opportunities to all members of the community. Courses may vary from year to year depending on the needs and wishes of individuals, families and communities.So……if you would like to see us run a particular course please let us know………..
As well as providing stand-alone, non-accredited skills based courses, Listowel Family Resource Centre also collaborates with other education providers to achieve this, e.g. Kerry Flyer, Kerry Education & Training Board and other institutes as required.
Some Benefits of Adult Education:
- Confidence: you may discover something you are good at and this increases self esteem
- Independence: learning new skills in a safe, secure, empowering way will help ensure you are no longer dependant on others to carry out certain tasks for you, e.g. booking flights, minor clothes alternations, baking, using a smart phone, planting and growing vegetables, emailing etc
- Health & Happiness: learning new skills helps stimulate the brain, assisting in better health later in life. Learning and using new skills can be very rewarding and make you happy
- Decision-Making: participating in adult education increases our skills in seeking information which enables us to make better informed decisions in all aspects of our life
- Self-Direction: learning can be meaning to our lives, giving us a sense of worth and direction
- Professional Development: we never know everything!!!!!! Prospective employers not only look for basic requirements – they do look for continuous professional and life-long learning
- Community Solidarity: When we learn new skills and knowledge we usually like to share it with others. Learning gives us confidence in ourselves and our ability. This can help change and form attitudes in a community which strengthens and protects communities and families
Community Based Education:
Listowel Family Resource Centre, through its community based education, aims to promote life-long learning and the development of individuals within their communities. We aim to develop these programmes and activities in partnership with our community. Its purpose is to empower and support individuals and communities to increase the skills and knowledge base, have fun and improve quality of life.
Examples of some courses we offer:
- Cooking on a Budget
- Basic and Intermediate Computers
- Benefit 4 (introduction to internet, email, search engines etc)
- Using a Smart Phone
- Occupational First Aid (QQI Level 3)
- Internet Skills (QQI Level 3)
- Horticulture/Vegetable Crop Production (QQI Level 3)
- Digital Photography (QQI Level 3)
- Word Processing (QQI Level 3)
- Information Technology (QQI Level 3)